Pages

Drawing Resources

We're starting our month tomorrow, so in preparation I want to share some resources that I found really helpful last time. They're linked in the side-bar of my blog so you can come back and find them anytime.

If you come across any resources you find useful please share them here!

How to Learn to Draw
While this is mostly text, it goes over the same concepts that we're addressing in the 30 day challenge. That is: If you want to improve at art, you must draw. Everyday. It talks about learning size, form and value and gives you a link to an excellent tutorial which starts with geometric shapes through to anatomy and shading.

Perspective Tutorial
Vanishing points, one point perspective, two point perspective and three point perspective! I think this page has everything you need for a good grounding in perspective. This is what will give your drawings depth, so I'll be going back to this and having a refresher on what I learned last time.

Anatomy Studies Demo
This is what the art school students are doing. It is a useful link because it gives you an idea of the type of sketches and repetition that students are doing through their course. Want to get better at hands? Do hand studies every day until you get it right! The artist answers questions throughout, especially on page 3, so read each page.

Loomis Books
An excellent thing you can do to improve your anatomy is download the Loomis books and work through them. This is highly recommended by nearly everyone on the ConceptArt forums. These books are out of print. You may get a 403 error from the link for some reason. Click the link to bypass the message and you'll get through to the downloads page.

Senshi Stock
An extremely generous resource of photos. You may need a DeviantArt login to see some of them, however it is free to join. The photos are categorised by types of poses making it easy to browse and are the best online resource I've found for practicing figure drawing. If you don't have access to a life drawing class with a real model, these photos are for you. I make a note of which photos I use so that I can go back and retry specific poses to see where I'm improving and where I need to practice.

Stock Hands
A resource for hand photos. Lots of different poses and available in downloadable packs so you can build your own little reference on your computer.

Suicide Girls (warning: nudity)
Suicide Girls celebrates alternative beauty - I guess it is like playboy for the pierced, tattooed and/or unique... The beautiful girls come in all shapes and sizes, which is fantastic for your life drawing practice! I've linked you to the free gallery area, but if you want to find out more check out their homepage

btemplates

0 comments: